Sure my vision is worse; I’m getting older…
Many people mistakenly assume that becoming visually impaired is a part of the normal aging process.
Aging eyes do experience functional vision challenges that negatively affect the person’s life, including:
- Decreased ability to see detail – difficulty reading, seeing faces, meds, mail, TV, cooking, driving, crossing street, stairs….
- Loss of peripheral vision – mobility problems
- Increased sensitivity to glare
- Needing more light
- More time required to adjust to bright light and/or darkness
- Reduced contrast sensitivity
- Decreased ability to judge depth perception
- Decreased color sensitivity
- Losing Focus
Low vision is not normal aging.
See the module on The Aging Eye